Scholarship Provider: The University of the Witwatersrand is one of seven universities around the world participating in the TDR Postgraduate Training Scheme, which aims to strengthen capacity in implementation research. The Wits University is a remarkable university that is internationally distinguished for its excellent research, high academic standards and commitment to social justice.
Degree Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Postgraduate training programme. Degree Programme On Offer: MSc Epidemiology in the field of Implementation Science (18 months full-time)
Available Subject: Scholarships are awarded in Implementation Science. The degree programme is open to candidates from a range of disciplines including clinical and other health-related fields; statistics and other quantitative fields, as well as demography and social sciences. The degree programme should also appeal to candidates who want to become more involved in research in health-related fields.
Scholarship benefits: The scheme will provide full scholarships for seven Masters in the 2019 academic year and covers the following:
Return economy air fare.
Basic medical and accident insurance.
Monthly stipend to cover living expenses including accommodation.
Support for the research project expenses.
Further, recipients’ careers will be tracked with the new TDR Global alumni and stakeholder platform that will monitor the impact of the programme, as well as provide networking and increased visibility opportunities for the Fellows.
Eligible Nationalities: Available to nationals of a low- or middle-income country in the WHO African Region:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be resident in and a national of a low- or middle-income country in the WHO African Region.
- Applicants should normally be 35 or younger for the Master Programme. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty.
- Be proficient in English.
- Meet the Programme’s requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academicprogrammes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/
Language Requirements: Applicants must be proficient in English.
How to Apply: Scholarship applications should be sent to: Mrs Gloria Bowes (Gloria.Bowes-at-wits.ac.za) and copied to Prof. Latifat Ibisomi (Latifat.Ibisomi-at-wits.ac.za).
The application process is two-fold.
- Application to the University of the Witwatersrand Apply by completing a University of the Witwatersrand postgraduate application form online
- Application for the TDR scholarship
- The application for the TDR scholarship should be made separately in writing and should include the following documents:
- A letter of motivation for applying for the scholarship.
- A certified copy of the bio-data page of the passport.
- Evidence of application to study Implementation Science as the field of study in the MSc Epidemiology Programme at the University of the Witwatersrand of the School of Public Health commencing in the 2019 academic year.
- A comprehensive curriculum vitae including a description of relevant research and work experience.
- Two confidential referee reports should be sent directly by the referees to Mrs Gloria Bowes (Gloria.Bowes-at-wits.ac.za).